Saturday, January 3, 2009

Sometimes, things do change . . .

Me, for instance. Which, if you're reading this, is what you care about anyway. I've changed quite a bit just in the last year, and considerably over the last five years. In the past year, I moved from the southern Plains to the Pacific Northwest, and am happy in the climate I live in for the first time in my life. I like rain. Snow is fine, but what we got in December was a bit much. The mild summers are what wow me. I finally understand why those poets and novelists (mostly English) were always rhapsodizing about summer.
There were other consequences from my move, first and foremost my appearance. I have always been a clotheshorse. I was know for my wardrobe and especially my expensive footwear. At library conferences and academic committee meetings, I was usually the only one in Manolos. Now, I'm down to one pair, with only 2" heels, and I haven't even worn them this year. I spent the spring and summer in Birkenstocks, which I used to consider the ugliest shoes on earth. I even have a "dress pair" of Birks. I haven't yet sunk to crocs, the current holder of that title, but you never know. This winter, my only new shoe purchase, and most frequently worn footwear, is a pair of "Wellies" -- knee-high hunter green rain boots. I used to buy clothes with reckless abandon, and spent hours thinking about what to wear. Even when I worked at home, I dressed up to run errands or to go out to eat. Now I get up and put on one of three pairs (each) of jeans or khakis. The khakis are men's, from Goodwill. These are paired with one of 5 sweaters, with a t-shirt underneath. And those are my "nicer" outfits, that I wear to work. If I'm staying in, it's yoga pants and fleece sweatshirts. I did wear long cotton dresses in summer, on hot days, but mostly I wear pants now, unless I'm travelling for work.
I used to spend an enormous amount of time and money on personal maintenance. Hair was cut and colored every 4 weeks, facial once a month, mani/pedi once or twice a month, especially in summer, regular massages. I had one facial one massage in the last year. I haven't had my nails done in a year and a half. I stopped coloring my hair almost two years ago, and it's now gray silver, approximately shoulder length, of no particular style, and hasn't been trimmed in 4 months. I wash it, comb it, and go. I have no styling products or tools. My boyfriend's mother, a Southern Lady, was shocked, and, I think, rather horrified, when she arrived and found I had no hair dryer. She had to go buy one, and left it to use when she visits. I never wear makeup, either. I am fortunate that my boyfriend likes the natural look.
On a less superficial level, I think I am calmer (well, a little), more adventurous, more flexible (or maybe less rigid), and more accommodating than I used to be. Part of this comes from living with someone for the first time in 25 years, and part fromreally believing that this someone truly loves me enough to accept all my faults. I actually quite like living with someone. It makes life easier in many ways, and the benefits more than make up for relinquishing complete control over my living quarters.
In all, I'm very pleased with the changes. Sometimes I do miss dressing up, getting compliments, attracting attention, but overall it's nice to just blend in with the crowd, and be comfortable. That's a good way to sum up the changes: I'm more comfortable -- with myself, with my life, with my choices -- than I have been before.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wish you posted more often. Of course, then I'd wish I read more often.

N.